61-year old Medford resident Kathy Horan was arrested today, for fleeing the scene of an accident that occurred last night on Granny Road. Three were injured and one man was killed in this hit-and-run incident. The crash took place at around 8:20pm on Friday night. Two crashes, in fact. Peter Quoma, a 25-year-old Selden resident, was involved in a minor crash just minutes beforehand, and had pulled over to address the damages. He, and some of the other motorists involved, got out of their respective cars to survey the scene, when a 2014 Hyundai Sante Fe struck Mr. Quoma.
He was taken to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center, where he was later pronounced dead. A 58-year-old woman, who was also involved in the original crash, was taken to a hospital with serious injuries as well.
Instead of pulling over, the Santa Fe continued driving. Its driver, Kathy Horan, had sustained no injuries. She was later apprehended for fleeing the scene of the accident, and is expected to be arraigned later today, February 20th.
NY Pedestrian Fatality Statistics
“Downstate New York” is a term that refers, most commonly, to Long Island, New York City, and the three counties directly to the north of NYC: Westchester, Rockland, and Putnam. The term is essentially the inverse of the term “Upstate New York,” which refers to the rest of New York State.
In this area, over the past three years, a full 60% of pedestrian fatalities have occurred in New York City- making this urban area vastly more dangerous for everyday citizens than the outlying regions.
However, the title of most dangerous singular road still belongs to Suffolk County Long Island’s Route 25. During this same three-year period, Route 25 has claimed a disquieting 20 lives.
Bay Shore, Holtsville, Huntington, Ronkonkoma, Smithtown and West Islip are some Long Island towns which have witnessed an abundance of car-on-pedestrian accidents over the past couple of years.
Here, you can read about New York City mayor Bill de Blasio’s “Vision Zero” program, which aims to reduce pedestrian fatalities in the five boroughs. Meanwhile, Long Island officials are likewise seeking a means with which to cut down on pedestrian deaths.
What to Do if You’ve Been Involved in an Accident
If you’ve been in a vehicular accident of any kind, it is imperative that you take the following steps:
- Stay Put: Leaving the scene of a crash is a Fear, anxiety, nerves- these reactions are commonplace; but it’s important you fight the impulse to flee. Doing will so only increase the amount of recrimination you stand to face.
- Gauge the Damage: Secure yourself and your passengers. Make sure everyone in your vehicle is alright, and accounted for. Then, if you’re capable, check on the others involved in the crash. If necessary, call 9-1-1 as soon as possible. You want to make sure that anyone in need of medical treatment receives it immediately. If there’s any doubt, err on the side of going to the hospital.
- Do Your Due Diligence: Swap all pertinent information with any other drivers involved. This means exchanging contact information, insurance papers, etc.
- The Next Step: It will soon become necessary for you to contact your own insurance provider and alert them to the situation. In mostly all court cases, gathering evidence proves immensely useful. Keep careful track of all medical expenditures, vehicular damage, etc. Try and take pictures, and gather eye-witness testimony if possible.
- Contact Kaplan Lawyers PC: The lawyers at Kaplan Lawyers PC will take over at this point, ensuring maximum compensation and protection for all clients.
Remember, fleeing the scene of an accident is against the law. Leaving the scene of an accident will result in police issuing a warrant for your arrest.
Kaplan Lawyers PC
At Kaplan Lawyers PC, we’ve got a professional and compassionate team of attorneys on standby, able and eager to help you fight your vehicle-related legal battle. Have you or a loved one been hurt in a car crash? Are you a pedestrian who has been struck by an out-of-control vehicle? Or do you stand accused of perpetrating a car-related infraction? We understand that in every accident, there are untold numbers of variables involved: mitigating circumstances, shades of gray, etc. The experts at Kaplan Lawyers PC can help cut through the conflicting stories and get to the truth. We fight determinedly for our clients, and can guarantee dedicated, hands-on service throughout the entirety of your legal process. That’s what makes us New York’s premier vehicular accident-related law firm. For more information, contact us to set up a free and easy consultation.