Man Avoids Deadly Crash with Heads-Up Braking
Today’s story comes all the way from the other side of the world- but illustrates the universal benefits of staying alert and properly using your brakes. A man from East China’s Zhejiang Province found himself in a precarious position- behind the wheel of his car, but backwards, and upside-down and clinging to the steep mountainside adjacent to the road he’d just moments earlier been driving down. After swerving to avoid another vehicle, the man lost control of his own black sedan, and ended up ploughing backwards through a roadside wall and down the ensuing embankment. In a moment of life-saving quick-thinking, the man jammed on his brakes, which caught hold of the road’s edge. It was from this situation that he was rescued, hours later, having held fast on the brakes the entire time in-between.
When the emergency workers arrived, they rigged the car up to a system of safety cables, suspending it in place. No longer clinging to the cliff-face by only the front tires of his car, the man was free to release his foot from the brakes, and escape to safety out the driver’s side window.
The man was shaken up, though seemingly unharmed. He was taken to the hospital for precautionary reasons, where he was said to be in stable condition. A miraculous conclusion to a story that could have ended far worse.
Check Your Brakes!
The above is an extreme example, but every day, properly maintained brakes help drivers avoid accidents, saving countless lives in the process. When properly utilized, brakes can be literal lifesavers. However, if they’re allowed to fall into disrepair, brakes can become liabilities. Faulty brakes put drivers and their passengers into supreme jeopardy. That’s why it’s of utmost importance to keep your brakes in working order. If your brakes exhibit any of the following conditions, that means it’s time for a check-up:
- First Things First: Did your brake system warning light flash on? If so, that’s your most obvious red flag. Warning lights might not always activate, however, which is why it’s important to remain mindful of the following problems or difficulties.
- Unnatural Pull: Is your car pulling to the right or left as you brake? This could be an indication of a brake malfunction.
- Noticeable Slip: Do your tires seem to not grip the road as well as you remember when you apply pressure on your brake?
- Pedal Malfunction: Is your physical brake pedal loose, hanging lower than normal, jamming, catching, or sliding? Whatever the glitch, it requires the attention of a mechanic.
- What’s That Sound? Any noise that seems out-of-the-ordinary should be inspected by a qualified mechanic. Squeaks, squeals, screeches and scraping sounds, nine times out of ten, mean something’s gone amiss.
- Delayed Reaction: Does your car seem to be gliding where it used to stop dead? Is the overall time it takes you to come to a complete stop increasing? This is one of the more surefire signifiers that your brakes are in desperate need of a tune-up.
- Shuddering Sensation: Are your brakes giving you strange, shuddering feedback as you engage them? This is not normal, and could be a precursor to complete brake system failure.
Are your brakes guilty of any of these symptoms? Don’t put it off for another day- take your vehicle to your local mechanic and remedy the problem.
How Do Brakes Work?
It may seem like a simple interaction to you: you place your foot on the brake pedal, and your car stops. Simple as that. In reality, your brakes are comprised of a complex network of parts and sub-systems which must work in concert in order to slow and then stop your vehicle. As you push down on your brake, brake fluid is forced into a specially-designed series of cylinders. The hydraulic system helps amplify the force of your foot on the brake pedal, and it’s at this point that the brake pad, with the assistance of your brake calipers, is clamped onto the brake disc rotor. Friction occurs, and your spinning wheel grinds to a halt. When you release your foot from the brakes, the calipers and brake pads likewise release their grip on your tires, allowing you drive on once again.
Kaplan Lawyers PC
Did negligent or incompetent brake repair cause you to crash your vehicle? Were you injured in the process? At Kaplan Lawyers PC, we’ve got a professional, compassionate, and knowledgeable team of attorneys experienced in vehicular legal cases of all types. Which means that if you’ve been hurt, you owe it to yourself to retain the counsel of New York’s premier car and car accident-related law firm. If you’re unsure of your rights, contact us today for a free and easy consultation.