NYC Birth Injury Lawyer
Giving birth is one of the most important times of a mother’s life. During this time, she deserves the unflinching care and attention of her attending doctor and medical staff. It is an unfortunate reality, though, that negligence sometimes takes place.
If negligence on the behalf of the doctor or staff that handled the birth has led to the harm of either mother or child, they should be held accountable. The birth injury attorneys at Kaplan Lawyers PC are here to help to make sure that if mistakes were made, the responsible party will have to answer for their action or inaction.
Causes of Birth Injuries
There are hundreds of different ways an injury can arise during the complicated process of birth. This list can be a helpful reference to see if you qualify for compensation, but there are many unlisted conditions that can make you eligible for assistance. If you are unsure at all, we urge you to contact the birth injury attorneys at Kaplan Lawyers PC for a free consultation.
A birth injury is a broad category meaning any harm that befalls a baby during the labor and delivery process. The effects of a birth injury can range from mild to extremely severe. There are many different ways in which birth injuries are caused.
If you think the medical staff that handled your birth was guilty of any of the following, you may have grounds to sue:
- Failed to respond to fetal distress
- Failed to deal with fetal bleeding
- Failed to properly call for a Caesarean («C»)-section
- Failed to deal with an umbilical cord complication
- Misused birthing tools such as: forceps, vacuum extractor, etc.
- Failed to anticipate complications due to size of baby, or other foreseeable dangers
- Failed to provide adequate post-natal care and attention
Types of Birth Injuries
The negligent behavior listed above can result in many different types of injuries:
- Caput Succedaneum is a swelling and bruising on the head and scalp of a newborn baby, often as a result of improper use of a vacuum extractor.
- Brain injuries are common and very dangerous. If the umbilical cord has wrapped around the neck of the child and has caused prolonged oxygen deprivation, serious brain injuries can occur.
- Asinclitic birth refers to the position of the baby in the uterus in which the head is tilted towards the shoulder and can lead to dystocia.
- Facial paralysis can require surgery to mend. Inexpert or overly aggressive use of forceps during delivery can sometimes damage the nerves in a baby’s face, causing paralysis.
- Brachial Palsy Injuries is the broad term comprising more specific conditions like Erb’s Palsy and Dejerine-Klumpke palsy. During the passage through the birth canal, a baby’s frame is compressed, and if the shoulders are impaired and constricted it can cause damage to the brachial plexus, the nerves that control the arms and hands.
- Fractured bones can occur during normal birth but occur more frequently in breech births.
- Cephalohematoma in childbirth often occurs in a newborn’s skull. It refers to the bleeding between the bone and its covering and while it sometimes resolves itself, it can become dangerous if the cephalohematoma is too large.
Contact Our Experienced Birth Injury Lawyer in NYC
The birth of a child is a special time and deserves to be treated as such. If a doctor’s negligence has resulted in these or any other conditions contact the experienced and compassionate NYC birth injury attorneys at Kaplan Lawyers PC for a free consultation. There is no fee unless we win your case.
Attorney Jared S. Kaplan
Attorney Jared S. Kaplan has focused his career on advancing his legal knowledge though the day to day practice of law. Jared is a partner in the law firm of Kaplan Lawyers PC in Syosset, New York and has been a practicing attorney for nearly 20 years. His career started in litigation, so Jared is aware of the pitfalls in litigation and uses that knowledge in the representation of his clients in complex matters. [ Attorney Bio ]