New York Stairway Accident Attorneys
Falls are one of the leading causes of injury in the United States. Every year, slips, trips and falls cause thousands of deaths and lead to many more serious injuries. Falls happen in many different settings, but often occur on stairs. When these falls are due to unsafe or improperly maintained stairs, the parties responsible for maintaining the safety of the premises might be held accountable for injuries they cause.
A poorly maintained set of stairs can be treacherous. Every day in New York there is a new victim of a staircase injury. If you’ve been injured in a stairway accident, you may be entitled to compensation for the injuries you have sustained, including any medical bills, lost wages, and the pain and suffering you have endured.
The trip and fall attorneys at Kaplan Lawyers PC have decades of experience investigating stairway accidents and can determine the cause of the fall and whether the stairs comply with applicable rules and regulations.
New York State Stairway Injury Attorneys
You may be asking yourself whether you qualify for compensation following a serious slip and fall injury. At Kaplan Lawyers PC, we handle all trip and fall injuries and our experienced staff knows how to investigate all types of injury cases. We understand the pain and suffering these unexpected accidents cause, and we are here to ensure that if your injuries were caused by someone else’s negligence, you will receive the financial compensation that you are entitled to.
How Stair-Related Injuries Happen
Unsafe property conditions are often the cause of a slip and fall injury. These conditions might include:
- Wobbly, chipped, or uneven steps
- Defective handrails or banisters
- Slick or slippery surfaces
- Inadequate lighting
- Worn or loosely gathered carpet threads
- Disproportioned step height / depth
- Violation of proper security codes / regulations.
If stairs are unsafe for any reason, property owners or managers should post signs warning people that they should proceed with caution. Owners and managers should also act to fix the hazards as soon as possible.
Common Injuries Suffered in Stair-Related Falls
When someone falls on stairs, they might suffer many different types of injuries. One fall might result in several injuries, some of which could be minor and others more serious. Slips, trips and falls on stairs might lead to:
- Broken hips – Over 95 percent of broken hips are caused by falling.
- Broken wrists or ankles – Trimalleolar (ankle) and colles wrist fractures are some of the most painful, debilitating and expensive fractures people suffer from falls.
- Brain injuries – Falls are the leading cause of traumatic brain injuries, comprising around 47 percent of all TBI-related emergency room visits, hospitalizations and deaths.
- Neck and back injuries – Falls can also cause serious injuries to the neck and back, potentially resulting in permanent disability.
Who is at Fault for These Injuries?
When someone slips and falls on stairs, their fall is often the result of negligence by a property owner. Premises liability law centers on the responsibility carried by property managers or owners in the event of another’s injury. It is the job of an owner or manager to maintain the safety of a property, so if the condition of a property leads to someone else’s injury, the injured party can file a claim to receive compensation for the injuries they have suffered.
If you’ve been injured on a set of stairs and believe that the condition of the property was to blame, you should consult a personal injury attorney to learn more about your case. A skilled experienced premises liability attorney will investigate the details of your situation to determine who was at fault, how much you are owed and what course of action should be taken to obtain that payment.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
Remember, if your fall was directly caused by someone else’s failure to maintain safe conditions on their premises, you are entitled to compensation for the pain and suffering you’ve endured. You are also entitled to compensation for other costs associated with your injury, including medical bills, ongoing treatment, loss of income and loss of work capacity. At Kaplan Lawyers PC, our New York slip and fall attorneys have years of experience helping injured clients get the compensation they deserve.
Contact the stairway accident attorneys at Kaplan Lawyers PC; the consultation is free, and you pay no fee unless we win your case. You can reach out to Kaplan Lawyers PC by filling out our online form or calling us at any of our office locations:
(212) 563-1900 (NYC)
(516) 399-2364 (Nassau County)
(347) 758-9011 (Brooklyn)
(631) 619-5309 (Suffolk County)
(917) 382-9212 (Queens)
Call Now for a Free Case Evaluation!(212) 563-1900 (NYC) (516) 399-2364 (Nassau County) (347) 758-9011 (Brooklyn) (631) 619-5309 (Suffolk County) (917) 382-9212 (Queens)
- Is a Hotel Responsible for Crime Victims on Their Premises?July 2, 2018
- On Average, 12 Amusement Ride Injuries Happen Every Day in U.S.August 29, 2017
- Long Island Cesspool Sinkhole FiascoJune 6, 2017
- Penn Station Sewage SituationMay 12, 2017
- Falling Flower Pot Ends in TragedyApril 30, 2017