NYC Distracted Driving Crashes
Lawyers Representing Victims of New York’s Illegal Street Racing
Going far beyond the thrills of The Fast and the Furious, real-life drag racing is extremely dangerous. Nevertheless, it is becoming increasingly common, and we are seeing innocent people suffer injuries related to drag race accidents all across New York.
Drag racing, or street racing, refers to a speed or performance competition between two or more motor vehicles on a public roadway. It is always illegal and extremely dangerous, with an incredibly high death rate.
New York’s illegal street racing usually takes one of two forms:
- Spontaneous drag races — Spontaneous street races typically begin when two or more cars pull up next to each other at a stoplight. Following some sort of communication between the parties (either express or implied), the vehicles await a green light and then immediately launch into a race with one another. The competition might seem like innocent and spontaneous fun to both sides, but it puts everyone else in danger and exposes all the participants to serious criminal penalties.
- Organized drag races — Unfortunately, organized drag race rings are popping up all over New York. These are covert but well organized events that may involve numerous vehicles, multiple races, and even multiple routes in the course of a single evening. These are the kinds of races depicted in much of the Fast and the Furious franchise, and the activity seems only to have grown more popular in the wake of that film series’ success.
At Kaplan Lawyers PC, we understand how serious New York’s illegal street racing problem is, and we know how angry its victims and their families can feel. We share in that pain, and we are determined to hold these irresponsible racers responsible for the damages they cause. Often, that means seeking financial accountability from their insurance companies and any additional third parties involved.
If you or a loved one has been injured in connection with New York’s illegal street racing, the experienced New York drag racing accident attorneys at Kaplan Lawyers PC can help.
Drag Racing Statistics
The following facts and figures can help you identify potential street racing activity and steer clear of it whenever possible. They also paint a chilling picture of a widespread, incredibly dangerous epidemic.
- The majority of street racers are males between the ages of 15 and 23.
- Nearly 60% of the people killed in drag races are between the ages of 15 and 30.
- Approximately 70% of illegal street races happen at night.
- Approximately 50% of illegal drag races happen on public highways. Parking lots and commercial roads are also popular street racing sites.
- Increasingly, the cars used in street races have been “souped up,” meaning they have been modified to operate at higher speeds and/or in more reckless manners. In many cases, these modifications are made by uncertified mechanics, are untested, and are in violation of state law.
As you can see, illegal drag racing is increasingly a teenage epidemic. This trend is concerning, given that teenage drivers already account for a disproportionately high number of the state’s most serious auto accidents. In fact, as drag racing grows more popular and skews increasingly younger, more unlicensed drivers are getting behind the wheel.
Drag races are often accompanied by other illegal activity, including the use of drugs or alcohol, often by minors. New York’s illegal street racing becomes all the more dangerous when intoxicants are involved.
The Role of Motorcycles in Illegal Drag Racing
Most people think of drag racing as an illegal sport for cars, but motorcycles are often involved too. This is important to note for two reasons.
First, because it is harder to judge the speed of a motorcycle, drivers and pedestrians should be extra cautious of motorcycles in areas where drag races might be popular.
Second, because motorcycles are small and their drivers are exposed during collision, the severity of biker injury in these crashes is typically catastrophic. Many cases are fatal.
Innocent bikers obeying the law are also put in danger when they find themselves inadvertently caught in the middle of a drag race.
New York Drag Racing Accident Attorneys at Kaplan Lawyers PC
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a traffic accident and you believe illegal street racing may have been involved, the experienced legal team at Kaplan Lawyers PC can help.
Our office is conveniently located in New York City, with legal representation available statewide. Time limits may apply to these claims, so please request a free consultation with our experienced New York drag racing accident attorneys right away.
Call Now for a Free Case Evaluation!(212) 563-1900 (NYC) (516) 399-2364 (Nassau County) (347) 758-9011 (Brooklyn) (631) 619-5309 (Suffolk County) (917) 382-9212 (Queens)
- Are Age Restrictions for Drivers a Good Idea?June 22, 2018
- Pedestrian Fatalities Soaring in the U.S. Are SUVs the Culprit?June 15, 2018
- Traffic Safety near NY Schools a Cause for ConcernMay 25, 2018
- Why Are There 57 Million Recalled Vehicles Still on Our Roads … Unrepaired?May 15, 2018
- Showing Bikers Respect on Our RoadsMay 1, 2018