Vehicle pileups can happen in the blink of an eye. In fact, a multiple-vehicle accident only takes about as much time to transpire as any ordinary two-car collision.
Unfortunately, though, when multiple vehicles are involved, the severity and extent of damages tend to be significantly greater.
At Kaplan Lawyers PC, we understand how utterly overwhelming multiple-vehicle accidents can be. Everything that is already frustrating about ordinary accidents is amplified when numerous parties (and, often, numerous insurance companies) are involved in issues of liability, fault, and compensation.
Depending on your proximity to the initial collision(s), your injuries may range from mild to severe. Nevertheless, if you weren’t the one at fault, chances are strong that you might be entitled to recovery under New York personal injury law.
Of course, figuring out exactly which parties are responsible can be tricky. We’ll dive into the issue of multiple-vehicle accident liability below, but before we do, please know this: If you’ve been injured at somebody else’s fault, you are entitled to justice.
As New York vehicle accident attorneys, it’s our job to stick up for you. While all the other drivers, passengers, insurers, and attorneys quibble over the apportioning of payment and fault, we will fight for absolute fairness and comprehensive compensation for our clients.
You have rights and a voice. We will protect them both.
Who’s at Fault in Multiple-Vehicle Accidents in New York City?
Assessing liability in a multi-car crash can be difficult. Just as there are numerous cars involved, there are many potential causes and sources for liability. Police and insurance companies will each conduct an investigation, but injured parties can’t assume that either will fairly or accurately assess fault.
The issue at hand is which act(s) of negligence caused the accident and whether a given victim’s injuries were caused by that act of negligence.
The farther down the chain of impact you are, the more likely the driver’s insurer is to reject your claim.
They’ll argue that your injuries are too far removed from the driver’s negligence to have been caused by it.
But with an experienced attorney on your side, you can fight back. At Kaplan Lawyers PC, we have years of experience with multiple-vehicle accidents in New York City, and we understand how the claims process works. We investigate each and every potential source of liability and compensation for our clients and then vigorously pursue them all.
Common Scenarios for Multiple-Vehicle Accidents in New York
Multiple-vehicle accident liability presents its own unique set of issues, usually pertaining to the question of fault. Among the more common scenarios we see in these cases are:
- The Classic Chain Reaction — One car rear-ends another, causing a chain reaction of at least three vehicles. These scenarios sometimes present an exception to the usual rule that the rear-ender is typically at fault.
- Multiple Rear-Enders — This scenario is a little harder to follow. Imagine that cars A, B, C, and D are traveling in a line where A is in the front and D is in the rear. Now imagine that C rear-ends B, and the collision causes both cars to come to a screeching halt. Then, because of that sudden halt, D comes along and hits C, causing a chain reaction all the way up to A. In this case, C may be at fault even though D triggered the chain reaction. Of course, determining true liability in these cases requires careful investigation and strategic negotiation.
- Negligence Up Front — Believe it or not, it is possible for the front-most car to be found liable in multiple-vehicle accidents in New York City. Imagine, for instance, that the front driver suddenly stops in the middle of traffic for no reason, or suddenly swerves into a lane without warning. Here again, evidence, investigation, and representation are very important.
- The Phantom Hit-and-Run — In these cases, the apparent rear vehicle claims that they weren’t actually in the rear. Instead, they claim that the truly liable party sped away in a hit-and-run (even though no one else saw the car). Is this person telling the truth? Sometimes yes; sometimes no. The attorneys and investigators must independently analyze the facts and ensure that their clients are not taken advantage of in the process.
- The Usual Suspects — Of course, some multiple-vehicle accidents unfold like any other crash, caused by the usual kinds of negligence: speeding, intoxication (DUI), texting while driving, distracted driving, etc. Inclement weather often plays a part too.
Ultimately, though, the details of your scenario are for your attorney to worry about. An experienced lawyer can take all the headache and anxiety out of this ordeal for you. When you work with Kaplan Lawyers PC, you’ll rest easy knowing that effective and experienced New York vehicle accident attorneys are fighting for your rights
Get Help from Experienced New York City Vehicle Accident Attorneys
These cases come with plenty of stones — we make sure that not a single one of them goes unturned. We fight tirelessly for our clients and ensure that their individual interests don’t get overshadowed among all the other victims filing a claim. If there is a potential avenue for compensation, we will thoroughly explore it.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a multi-car crash in New York, the New York City vehicle accident attorneys at Kaplan Lawyers PC can help. Contact us today.