Our New York Burn Injury Lawyers Can Help You Get Compensation for a Severe Burn.
Burn injuries can be severe, and the effects can last a lifetime, but you may be able to receive compensation with the help of our New York burn injury lawyers.
Burn injuries can cause excruciating pain and tremendous suffering, and they can lead to scarring, disfigurement, paralysis in the burn area or even death. Burns may require multiple surgeries, skin grafts, hospitalizations, and continuing care, and victims may be unable to work, causing a financial drain on the family.
If you or a loved one has suffered a severe burn or someone has died due to a burn caused by the negligence or wrongdoing of another party, you may be entitled to compensation through insurance or a personal injury lawsuit. New York personal injury law allows victims to seek financial recovery for their burn-related suffering, provided that the burn was caused by someone else’s negligence.
However, legal requirements are complicated; proving fault can be difficult; making mistakes can be costly; and insurance companies have high-powered lawyers on their side who will attempt to get you to settle for the lowest amount possible.
This is not something you should deal with on your own, especially at a time when you may be overwhelmed by trying to recover from your injuries. The burn injury attorneys at Kaplan Law are here to take the burden off you by handling all paperwork, investigations, negotiations, and legal hurdles involved with getting you the compensation you deserve.
How the Kaplan Lawyers Burn Injury Attorneys Can Help You
At Kaplan Lawyers, PC, we take burns and burn-related suffering extremely seriously. We understand that a burn can affect virtually every aspect of your life. We also know that explaining the totality of your experience as a burn victim can be a challenge. We are here to make that case for you. As experienced New York burn injury attorneys, we are prepared to pursue every penny of the compensation you’re owed under the law. We have many years of experience in burn injury cases, and we believe we can make a meaningful difference in the outcome of your claim.
We offer a free consultation to determine the best way to move forward with your case, so please call us today at (516) 399-2364.
How a Burn Injury Attorney Can Help You
Our New York burn injury attorneys have the resources to investigate your case, find all parties who may be at fault, and build a strong case on your behalf.
Most burn injuries aren’t merely skin deep. Beyond cosmetic concerns — which are extremely important and need to be fully addressed — burns can also cause nerve or tissue damage, affect the body’s sweating mechanism, or otherwise inhibit the normal functioning of the victim’s bodily systems.
The overwhelming majority of burns are preventable. They happen because someone else acted carelessly or failed to take certain crucial preventative measures. In those cases, victims are entitled to legal relief.
Common Types of Burns
- Chemical burns
- Electrical burns
- Electrical shock
- Thermal burns (direct exposure to hot objects or heat)
- Friction burns
- Scalds (burns from hot / boiling water or other liquids)
- Flame injuries
- Factory explosions
- Other explosions.
When you meet with us, we will discuss what happened to cause your burn and also the physical, emotional, and financial effects that you are suffering as a result. We can help by:
- Investigating the cause of your burn injury and gathering evidence such as from photographs and videos
- Interviewing eye witnesses and first responders to get testimony
- Examining police and fire reports and your medical records, including emergency treatment, hospital care, surgeries, and rehabilitation
- Getting expert testimony from safety inspectors and other professionals to determine the cause of the burn
- Getting experts to testify about what future procedures and rehabilitation you might need
- Getting testimony from people who know you as to how your life has been negatively impacted by your injuries and from life-care professionals about the type of care you will need in the future
- Handling all dealings and negotiations with insurance companies for a fair settlement
- Taking your case to court and arguing in front of a judge or jury if necessary.
New York Burn Injury Attorney Seek Full Compensation
Our burn injury attorneys will determine what your case is worth and seek a settlement that covers all your damages.
While everyone’s injuries and circumstances are different, severe burn settlements can range into the hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars.
The amount of damages you may receive will be based on the severity and permanence of your injuries and the effects on your life, including your personal relationships, ability to work, and whether you will need continuing care, as well as the amount of insurance and assets that are available for compensation.
New York allows compensatory damages that cover both your economic and non-economic losses. In some rare cases, you may also receive punitive damages, meant to punish someone for extreme wrongdoing.
Compensatory Damages for a Burn Injury Include:
- Economic Damages – These are to cover monetary losses for costs and expenses that result from the accident, such as:
- Medical and therapy bills
- Lost earnings from being unable to work and projected future lost earnings
- Costs of modifying a home or vehicle.
- Non-economic Damages – These are for intangible effects on your life that do not have a specific dollar value, and may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional anguish
- Loss of consortium and enjoyment of life
- Permanent disability, scarring, or disfigurement.
Punitive damages are awarded only in rare cases in order to punish a defendant who acted in an especially egregious manner, such as acting intentionally dangerously or extremely recklessly. The goal is to both punish the defendant and to deter such behaviors in the future.
Wrongful death compensation
If the burn injury resulted in the death of a close family member, New York law allows the personal representative of the estate to file a wrongful death claim. Damages to compensate for the losses suffered from the death can be awarded to immediate family members, who include a surviving spouse, children and parents of the deceased; in certain circumstances, other relatives may receive compensation.
Our Burn Injury Lawyers in NYC Know How to Prove Negligence
Proving negligence requires knowledge, investigation, and getting testimony from witnesses and first responders.
Some burns cannot be attributed to someone else’s fault. To win your case in a personal injury claim, our Kaplan burn injury lawyers must be able to prove that the defendant in the case was negligent or at fault for causing the injuries you received.
To do this, we must be able to show the following elements:
- Duty: The defendant owed you a duty of care to act responsibly and not to cause harm.
- Breach: The defendant breached this duty.
- Cause: This breach caused the burn that injured you.
- Damage: You suffered damages as a result.
Examples of negligent actions that breached duty and caused serious burns include:
- A defective product exploded and caused the burn.
- A landlord failed to install required smoke alarms or sprinklers, and tenants could not be warned when a fire occurred.
- An electrical tool shorted out and caused an electrical fire.
There may be multiple defendants whose negligence contributed to your burn, such as manufacturers and salespeople and installers of defective products. We would look to hold them all responsible as they all may have assets and insurance.
Burn Injury Statistics
- Nearly half a million burn injuries are treated in medical facilities every year in the United States.
- A civilian fire death occurs every 2 hours and 40 minutes in the United States.
- A civilian fire injury occurs every 34 minutes.
- In 2019, local fire departments responded to 1,291,500 fires that caused roughly 3,700 civilian deaths, 16,600 civilian injuries and $14.8 billion in property damage.
Why You Should Get Help from Our NY Burn Injury Attorneys
The experienced New York burn injury attorneys at Kaplan Lawyers PC can help you achieve the justice you deserve. We’ll fight hard for your rights and ensure that all legal matters and negotiations are done correctly and promptly. We will fight aggressively for the compensation you deserve and take the burden off you so you can concentrate on your recovery, your family, and moving forward with your life. Our office is conveniently located in New York City, with legal representation available statewide.
Be aware that New York has a statute of limitations, a time limit for filing a lawsuit for most types of personal injury cases. According to N.Y. Civ. Prac. R. section 214, you generally have three years from the date of the injury to go to court and file a lawsuit against those responsible for the underlying accident, or the courts are likely to refuse to hear your case. A wrongful death claim in New York must be filed within two years of the date of the deceased person’s death.
So do not delay. Call us today for your free consultation at (516) 399-2364 to get started.
Attorney Jared S. Kaplan
Attorney Jared S. Kaplan has focused his career on advancing his legal knowledge though the day to day practice of law. Jared is a partner in the law firm of Kaplan Lawyers PC in Syosset, New York and has been a practicing attorney for nearly 20 years. His career started in litigation, so Jared is aware of the pitfalls in litigation and uses that knowledge in the representation of his clients in complex matters. [ Attorney Bio ]