If you’ve been in a car accident in New York City, you’re likely experiencing a great deal of stress and concern about what to do next. You might be considering hiring a New York City Car Accident Lawyer to help you secure the financial compensation you deserve.
Our New York City car accident lawyers are here to help. We know the Big Apple isn’t the most hospitable environment for drivers. Our team of car accident attorneys meets you on your terms, and we want to make the process as simple and pain-free as possible. Some of the best car accident lawyers in New York City are at Kaplan Lawyers, and we’re here to help. For a free initial consultation, call us at (212) 563-1900.
- Why Do I Need a New York City Car Accident Lawyer?
- How Much Compensation Could I Receive for My Car Accident?
- How Much Does a Car Accident Lawyer in New York City Cost?
- Why File a Car Accident Claim in New York City?
- Kaplan Lawyers Have Years Of Experience Handling All Types Of New York City Car Accidents
- What Is the Process After I Hire a Car Accident Attorney?
- Getting Medical Treatment After a Car Accident
- Expenses Car Accident Victims Are Entitled To
- A New York City Car Accident Lawyer at Kaplan Lawyers Can Help
- Types Of Injuries From New York City Vehicle Accidents
- No-Fault Car Accident Laws In New York
- Tips For Dealing With The Insurance Agency
- Know Negligence When You See It – How Car Crashes Happen
- Why You Need A Car Accident Lawyer In NYC
- Top 5 Mistakes Made After A Car Accident
- How does a settlement work?
- New York City Driving Safety
- Need A New York City Car Accident Lawyer? Contact Kaplan Lawyers Today.
Why Do I Need a New York City Car Accident Lawyer?
All New York City car accident lawyers are not created equal. Let’s face it, some attorneys are just better than others. The car accident attorneys at Kaplan Lawyers possess decades of legal experience and are highly skilled. They have a winning track record and provide top-notch client service. Our attorneys have won large settlements and jury awards on behalf of clients who have been injured in car accidents, and they are prepared to work hard on your behalf. Learn more about our attorneys by reading their bios on our website. As you can see, Kaplan Lawyers has some of the best and brightest car accident lawyers in New York City.
How Much Compensation Could I Receive for My Car Accident?
Every vehicle crash is different, and so the financial compensation for each car accident varies. Generally, the more severe the injury and the higher the medical bills, the greater the financial compensation will be. Also, if multiple passengers were injured, that can affect the financial award, too. There are other factors that come into play, such as who was at fault, weather conditions, whether a motorist has a history of driving violations and whether substance abuse was involved, just to name a few. Financial compensation for a car crash can range from tens of thousands of dollars to hundreds of thousands of dollars. In some severe cases, compensation can be a million dollars or more. If you would like to learn more about the potential financial compensation for your specific crash and injuries, call a New York City car accident lawyer at Kaplan Lawyers at (212) 563-1900. An initial conversation is free.
How Much Does a Car Accident Lawyer in New York City Cost?
Here’s the good news! Hiring a New York City car accident lawyer costs you nothing up front. We work on contingency at Kaplan Lawyers, which means that we don’t get paid until you get paid. Our attorney’s fees are paid by the defendant as part of a settlement agreement or jury award. If for some reason your claim is not successful, then you owe us nothing. A lack of funds should never be a reason for not hiring a car accident lawyer in New York City to get the justice you deserve.
Why File a Car Accident Claim in New York City?
If you have been involved in a serious car accident in New York City, then we don’t need to tell you just how painful, costly and frustrating it can be. You are likely experiencing many obstacles dealing with the aftermath of a car wreck. You probably have mounting medical bills, have missed work, incurred costly property damage, and are suffering more than your share of pain. These costs are just part of the challenges so many of Kaplan Lawyers’ clients have faced after a car wreck.
By hiring a New York City Car Accident Lawyer and filing a personal injury claim, you are demanding the payment you are entitled to. You are also ensuring that the at-fault party is held accountable for their careless actions. Don’t take on expenses imposed on you by a reckless driver.
You are well within your rights to file a car accident claim to receive compensation for the many costs you have encountered. Kaplan Lawyers can help. Don’t feel bad about filing a lawsuit and asking the careless person’s insurance company to pay for your medical bills and pain and suffering. That’s why motorists have car insurance – to take care of things when a crash occurs.
Kaplan Lawyers Have Years Of Experience Handling All Types Of New York City Car Accidents
In our many years of handling car accident claims in New York, Kaplan Lawyers have seen a lot of different crash types. The most common crashes involve two vehicles. Typically, one of the drivers bears some degree of fault for the car crash. Common examples include rear-end crashes, T-bone accidents and head-on collisions.
In some cases, the at-fault driver flees the scene. In a hit-and-run crash, the injured driver (the one who remained on the scene) still has options to get the compensation they are entitled to. Depending on their policy, they might be able to get the payment they need from their own insurance company. If this sounds complicated, a skilled New York City car accident lawyer can help you decipher the paperwork.
Even crashes involving one car can result in a personal injury claim. Single-vehicle crashes are often the result of a driver’s avoiding a collision with a negligent driver. For example, if a motorist veers into your lane and you swerve to avoid a collision, you shouldn’t have to pay the costs for that driver’s careless actions.
A New York City car accident lawyer at Kaplan Lawyers helps injured people get the money they need. We understand that clients come to us when they need someone to handle a claim, so they can focus on their health and recovery. We not only want to fight for fair financial compensation, we also want to help you get the medical care you need to move forward with your life. We use all of our available resources to provide you with exceptional client service and connect you with professionals that allow you to get back on your feet.
Let our car accident lawyer meet with you in person to hear your story. If you can’t visit one of our many offices in New York City, our attorney will gladly come to you. Contact a car accident attorney at Kaplan Lawyers today by calling (212) 563-1900 or filling out our online contact form.
What Is the Process After I Hire a Car Accident Attorney?
At Kaplan Lawyers, we work to make the process as easy and streamlined as possible. First, you will meet in person with your car accident lawyer and review the facts of the case. We will listen as you describe what happened and begin to formulate a powerful legal argument on your behalf. We will examine pictures of the accident scene, interview eyewitnesses, review New York City case law, read the police report, pore over evidence, and even hire expert witnesses if needed. Our car accident attorneys leave no stone unturned when finding evidence and reports that will help build a strong case for you. All the while, we will stay in continuous contact with you and let you know about any new developments in your case. At Kaplan Lawyers, we pride ourselves on outstanding communication with our clients. We are always available to answer any questions you may have.
Getting Medical Treatment After a Car Accident
If you suspect you have suffered an injury from a car wreck, the most important step you can take is to seek medical attention. Even if you aren’t sure how seriously you are injured, your health is never something you want to risk. There are also legal ramifications if you forgo needed medical treatment. An opposing attorney or an insurance company will allege that you were never seriously injured if you didn’t bother to see a doctor. Don’t risk your health or give the other side the opportunity to make this argument. Get medical treatment.
Expenses Car Accident Victims Are Entitled To
Serious car accidents have many consequences. If your crash was caused by a negligent driver, a trained New York City car accident lawyer can advise you about the compensation you’re entitled to. In these car crashes, the costs you face are referred to as “damages.” Damages include many different types of costs, including…
Medical expenses – Medical bills are some of the biggest expenses facing people that have been injured in car accidents. The medical expenses you are facing might include bills for hospitalization, ambulatory care, rehabilitation, physical therapy, ongoing care, tests, treatments and medications.
Property damage – Vehicle damage is the most common consequence of any accident. Regardless of the extent of the damage you have faced, New York law provides that you should hold the at-fault driver responsible for the costs of repair bills or the replacement of your vehicle.
Lost income – Injuries suffered in car accidents often require time off work. For some workers, this means lost income. Additionally, victims in severe car accidents might never be able to work at full capacity again. All future and past income lost because of a driver’s negligence should be factored into your claim.
Pain and suffering – The physical and emotional pain and suffering you have experienced because of a car accident can also be considered damages in a car accident claim. Vehicle crashes are traumatic and painful events. Their effects can last years and cause victims an incredible amount of suffering. Though these damages aren’t as clearly defined as financial-related consequences of a crash, they are no less important.
When filing a claim, you want to be sure you are demanding an amount that reflects all of the costs you are facing. An experienced New York City car accident lawyer at Kaplan Lawyers will help make sure that we demand the full amount of payment you are owed.
A New York City Car Accident Lawyer at Kaplan Lawyers Can Help
We know that suing another driver and their insurance company can feel overwhelming, especially if you are injured, going to lots of doctor appointments, and don’t feel well. That’s where we can be of service. Let a Car Accident Attorney handle the paperwork and help you determine how much you deserve in damages. Contact Kaplan Lawyers today by calling (212) 563-1900 or filling out our online contact form.
Types Of Injuries From New York City Vehicle Accidents
A vehicle accident can lead to very serious injuries, including…
- Traumatic brain injuries – Serious head injuries have effects that can last a lifetime. These injuries are not always visible to others. Victims often suffer in silence, and it’s often the case that only close family members and friends notice the person’s changes in behavior, personality and cognition. A traumatic brain injury affects memory, language processing and a host of other functions that most of us take for granted.
- Spinal cord injuries or paralysis – When the spinal cord is damaged, victims face countless difficulties in life. These injuries can cost millions of dollars in medical care. They prevent people from doing their job or enjoying basic activities.
- Internal injuries – Much like traumatic brain injuries, internal injuries are not easily detected by the naked eye, but these injuries can quickly prove fatal if not treated immediately. Internal bleeding or organ damage can have a domino effect and require extensive medical treatment.
- Broken bones – Fractures are a common consequence of a serious car accident. Some of the costliest and most painful fractures are those experienced in complex bone fractures. This includes fractures to the hips, knees, wrists and ankles. These fractures require extensive medical care and surgeries to treat.
- Whiplash – Whiplash is a very serious injury that can impact a person in many ways. Whiplash can linger for months or even years after a car accident. These injuries can require ongoing medical treatment and physical therapy.
- Soft-tissue damage – Soft-tissue damage might not get the attention that fractures or brain injuries receive, but they can be extremely painful for a sufferer. Damage to ligaments and tendons can also be very expensive to treat.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) – The trauma someone suffers in a car accident is often considered a “non-economic” damage, but the anxiety plaguing a car accident victim is a very real concern. Any emotional pain and suffering you have experienced should be considered by your New York lawyer when determining how much you are owed by an at-fault driver and their insurance company.
- Wrongful death – When someone is fatally injured in a car accident, their immediate family members will be forced to deal with the consequences of that loss for the rest of their lives. In New York, certain family members have the legal right to file a wrongful death claim in response to the car accident and receive compensation for their loss and to hold a negligent driver accountable for the devastation they have caused.
In many cases, New Yorkers injured in a car accident face more than just one injury. You might be suffering from extensive trauma that is expensive to treat and limits your ability to work. If this is the case, you have experienced significant damages from your accident, and you should contact an experienced New York City car accident lawyer to explore your legal path toward compensation.
We want to help you hold a negligent driver accountable for the harm they have caused you and your loved ones. Contact Kaplan Lawyers by calling (212) 563-1900 or filling out our online contact form today.
Featured Article: New Research about Causes of Car Accidents Reveals Fresh Dangers
Sometimes it seems as if life used to be simpler. When we drove, we had fewer distractions and fewer things to worry about. Were they truly the good old days? Perhaps, because increases in the number of distractions around us while we drive would hardly appear to be a good thing. New research now available reveals the risks, and the links to the risks, that raise the chances of a car crash in New York City. Read Full Article
No-Fault Car Accident Laws In New York
In 1973 the New York State Legislature passed what is commonly referred to as the “No-Fault Law” to provide for the economic needs of people injured in car accidents. No-fault coverage will pay for medical bills, prescription costs, household services, transportation to medical providers, and lost wages up to the amount of coverage selected by the policyholder. However, there are many restrictions and filing requirements relating to no-fault laws in New York, so it is essential that you consult with a car accident lawyer to ensure that you receive all the benefits you are legally entitled to. Additionally, the true intent of the no-fault law was to limit an injured person’s ability to collect money for their pain and suffering. The statute is very restrictive, and many people who suffer significant injuries do not receive compensation for the impact that an accident has had on their lives.
Tips For Dealing With The Insurance Agency
Talking to representatives of an insurance company is an intimidating experience for most people. You might be wondering whether or not the insurance company is acting in your best interest. In general, you should cooperate with your own insurance company to the best of your ability and avoid speaking to a representative of another driver’s insurer. Let’s look at some general things to keep in mind when dealing with insurance companies after a vehicle accident in New York City:
- You are under no obligation to speak to another driver’s insurance representative. It’s likely that they will do whatever they can to lessen the amount of money they pay you.
- If possible, they will find a way to deny your claim completely. One of the ways they do this is by using your own words against you. If you are contacted by another driver’s insurance company, tell them to talk to your car accident attorney – Kaplan Lawyers, in New York City.
- When it comes to your own insurance company, you should be cooperative and report your accident and injuries after they happen.
- It’s also important to know that you don’t have to settle for an offer that doesn’t meet your needs. If you are offered less than you deserve, consider having a car accident attorney argue your case for you.
Throughout the entire claims process, an accident lawyer who is focused on vehicle crashes can stand up for you in court. A car accident attorney will correspond with insurance companies on your behalf to maximize the payment you receive after the crash.
Know Negligence When You See It – How Car Crashes Happen
You might be wondering what is considered negligent driving. If someone is breaking the rules of the road and they cause a car accident, they have likely been negligent behind the wheel. To get an idea of other common forms of driver negligence, let’s take a closer look at some of the most common causes of car accidents.
- Impaired driving – Drunk or impaired driving is one of the most common causes of serious car accidents. A driver can be impaired by alcohol, illegal drugs, prescription medication or even over-the-counter drugs. Drivers should always be aware of how the substances they have taken will affect their driving performance.
- Distracted driving – Drivers can be distracted in countless ways – particularly in a busy urban area like New York City. When a driver fails to keep their eyes on the road, their mind on the task of driving and their hands on the wheel, they pose a danger to everyone they share the road with. Though mobile devices are perhaps the most common cause of distraction and a leading cause of crashes, drivers might also be distracted by eating, drinking, looking in the mirror, operating a car radio, talking on the phone or taking on too many passengers.
- Speeding – Though people almost always think of speeding as exceeding a given speed limit, the truth is more complicated than that. It’s true that speeding means breaking the speed limit, but it also includes driving too fast for the conditions of the road. Any driver that is traveling too fast in New York and causes another motorist harm should be held accountable for their actions.
- Fatigue – Fatigue, or drowsy driving, is a major concern among road safety advocates. Missing just one to two hours of sleep can double a person’s chances of being involved in a motor vehicle accident. Drowsy driving is one of the biggest safety threats in the commercial trucking industry, because truckers often drive for long periods of time without taking a break. Workers on late shifts are also more likely to fall asleep while at the wheel because they are often tired and driving late at night or early in the morning.
- Failing to follow signs and signals – Traffic signs and signals are installed for a very good reason. When someone runs a red light, fails to slow down at a yield sign or ignores other important traffic signs, they are being negligent.
- Failure to signal when turning or changing lanes – One of the first things young drivers are taught in driving school is to always signal their intentions to fellow motorists. If a driver merges suddenly into your lane without signaling, or turns at a light without letting oncoming traffic know their intentions, they can be held accountable for any harm their careless actions have caused.
- Following another vehicle too closely – Another critical lesson that drivers are taught very early on is the importance of leaving adequate space between their own vehicle and the vehicle in front of them. The worse the weather or the faster the speed of the cars, the greater the distance a driver should maintain from a preceding vehicle. Rear-end accidents are often the result of one driver’s following another vehicle too closely.
- Failure to adjust driving to conditions – When the weather is bad or traffic is heavy, drivers are expected to change their driving behaviors. Icy weather and slick or wet roads require a driver to leave more space between their vehicle and the vehicle in front of them. Heavy traffic typically requires slower speeds. When drivers are careless in hazardous conditions, they can be held responsible for any injuries they cause.
These are just a few of the most common examples of driver negligence. You might not know exactly why another driver caused you harm, or your vehicle crash might have been caused by a reason not listed above. You should know that if another driver caused you harm, and you are suffering painful, costly injuries as a result of their reckless actions, you have the right to explore your legal options.
Contact a New York City Car Accident Lawyer today at (212) 563-1900 to schedule your free case evaluation.
Why You Need A Car Accident Lawyer In NYC
To handle a personal injury claim properly, you need…
- A deep understanding of New York accident law
- The time and resources to handle the day-to-day processes of filing a claim, such as preparing and filing paperwork, corresponding with lawyers and insurance companies, and gathering evidence to build your case
- Access to expert witnesses that can back up your claims with credible science and experience
- The experience to avoid common mistakes people make when filing a claim on their own
- The knowledge and resources to research laws and relevant cases to build a successful legal argument.
Few non-attorneys possess the skill, knowledge and experience required to meet the challenge. By having a New York City Car Accident Lawyer represent you, you’ll be maximizing your chances for success and making sure you aren’t settling for less compensation than you deserve.
Top 5 Mistakes Made After A Car Accident
The New York City car accident attorneys at Kaplan Lawyers have decades of experience and a proven track record of helping people who have been hurt in a car accident receive the money that they are entitled to. Contact us at (212) 563-1900 for a consultation to learn what benefits you are eligible for. The consultation is free, and we charge no fee unless we recover financial compensation for you. The following are things you should avoid if you are involved in a New York car accident:
- Admitting fault at the scene of the accident before you have all the facts
- Not filing an accident report with the police
- Assuming you will feel better and not seeking medical attention
- Believing that an insurance company will deal with you fairly
- Not hiring an experienced New York lawyer who will complete all filings to protect your rights and ensure that you will receive the compensation that you deserve.
How does a settlement work?
A settlement usually requires a significant amount of negotiations between the legal representatives of the parties involved in the lawsuit. The process can be quick (resolved in a matter of several days or weeks) or take more time (several months or longer), depending on the complexities of the case.
Car accident settlements are typically a compromise between two parties, but that doesn’t mean that the settlement you receive will be enough to meet the costs you are facing. This is one of the reasons that it is so important to hire an experienced New York City Car Accident Lawyer to handle your case. They will deal firmly with the other side to negotiate a financial settlement that is fair to you.
New York City Driving Safety
Traffic jams, honking horns, endless streams of pedestrians – these are just a few of the many frustrating hallmarks of New York City’s streets. Navigating these obstacles is difficult. It requires focus and patience. Most importantly, it means knowing the risks we face so we can be prepared and avoid them whenever possible. Our Infographic looks at some of the most severe injuries in New York car accidents, along with a few of the most common types of wrecks.
Need A New York City Car Accident Lawyer? Contact Kaplan Lawyers Today.
When you decide to hire an automobile accident lawyer in New York City, you will have no shortage of options. There are many personal injury attorneys in our city that will want to handle your claim. You should know that not all firms are the same. At Kaplan Lawyers, we take a client-first approach. Our priority is getting you the help you need.
If you or a loved one has been injured, you deserve a New York City car accident lawyer that meets you on your terms. We have a track record of achieving exceptional results for clients. Kaplan Lawyers offers free consultations to people from Manhattan to Staten Island to the Bronx, and we encourage you to reach out to our firm so we can learn more about your story and help you find the best path forward. Call a highly skilled New York City car accident lawyer today at (212) 563-1900.