New York Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bicyclists have long known the perils of sharing the road with motor vehicles, but unfortunately these dangers have been compounded by larger vehicles and more aggressive drivers. Every year, thousands of bicyclists have been killed or injured by drivers who fail to keep a proper lookout and share the road. The bike accident attorneys at Kaplan Lawyers PC have helped countless injured bicyclists get the medical attention they need and the compensation they deserve.
New York Bicycle Crash Statistics
The following statistics were taken from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles for the year 2014, the most recent year for which statistics are available:
- In New York, there were 47 bicyclist fatalities.
- There were 5,647 bicyclists injured in New York.
- There were 5,827 crashes involving both bicycles and a motor vehicle.
- Of the 47 bicycle fatalities in New York, nearly 60 percent were known not to be wearing a helmet when the crash occurred.
Cycling in New York
For a number of reasons, bicycling is a favorite mode of transportation for many New Yorkers. It has become even more popular in recent years. Over half a million New Yorkers will use their bike as either transportation or recreationally in a given month. While cycling has been the preferred mode of transportation for many New Yorkers for well over a century, our infrastructure is just now beginning to be planned in a way that accommodates cyclists. As you can see from the statistics above, there are still a number of bicycle injuries every year in our state.
To reduce the risks you face while cycling in New York, you should always wear a helmet, ride with traffic rather than against traffic, stay as far to the right side of the road as possible, use hand signals to communicate with drivers, and obey all traffic controls. It is also important to wear bright-colored clothing and to utilize reflectors on your bike to increase your visibility. Never ride your bike on sidewalks. If you choose to wear ear buds, make sure that you only wear one, so that you will still be able to hear what is going on around you.
Joining Biking Groups in New York City
In 2016, the New York Times provided resources for cyclists who were interested in joining a cycling group, which is both a great social activity and a way to stay safe while cycling in the city. Here are a few of the groups suggested by the New York Times:
What Happens If You Are Struck by a Vehicle While Biking?
If you have been struck by a car while riding a bike, your medical bills, prescription costs, household services, transportation to medical providers, and lost wages will be paid by the insurance company for the vehicle that struck you, up to the amount of coverage selected by the policyholder. However, it is unlikely that you know the person who hit you, and it is your responsibility to identify the insurance company for the driver and file for the benefits within 30 days from the date of the accident. You may also be entitled to collect additional compensation for pain and suffering if the injuries that you sustain qualify under the “serious injury” categories established by the New York State Legislature.
The NYC bike accident attorneys at Kaplan Lawyers PC have years of experience in these types of cases, and we assure you that we will fight to make certain you will receive all of the benefits you are entitled to. The advice you receive is invaluable, but the consultation is free, and you will pay no fee unless we win your case. Call us today so we can begin working on your case.
Frequently Asked Questions for Bike Accidents
Do I need an attorney to handle my claim?
How long do I have to bring a claim?
Can I bring a claim even if the other driver wasn’t 100% at fault?
Do I have to pay any legal fees if I lose my case?
How much is my case worth?
How long will it take to settle my case?
How will my medical bills get paid?
Does No Fault pay for anything else?
How can I get my bike fixed?
Can anyone sue to collect for pain and suffering if they were hit by a car?
What is the legal definition of a serious injury?
How will I know if my injuries will be considered serious?
TOP 5 MISTAKES MADE AFTER A BIKE ACCIDENT IN NEW YORK CITY
- Admitting fault at the scene of the accident before you have all of the facts
- Not filing an accident report with the police
- Assuming you will feel better and not seeking medical attention
- Believing that the Insurance Company will deal with you fairly
- Not hiring an experienced New York City bike accident attorney who will complete all filings to protect your rights and ensure that you will receive the compensation that you deserve
Call Now for a Free Case Evaluation!(212) 563-1900 (NYC) (516) 399-2364 (Nassau County) (347) 758-9011 (Brooklyn) (631) 619-5309 (Suffolk County) (917) 382-9212 (Queens)
- Experts Believe Fatigue May Cause 10 Percent of All Vehicle CrashesMarch 19, 2018
- Science Panel Urges Lowering BAC Intoxication Level from .08 to .05 PercentFebruary 8, 2018
- Can the U.S. Do Better When it Comes to Driver Safety?January 16, 2018
- Distracted Driving is Taking the Lives of More PedestriansNovember 15, 2017
- Recent Study Shows a Spike in U.S. Fatal, Opioid-Induced Car CrashesNovember 13, 2017