New York Pedestrian Accidents Lawyers
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that, on average, a pedestrian is killed every two hours in the United States. The final numbers in 2016 revealed that nearly 6,000 pedestrians were killed and about 70,000 injured after being struck by motor vehicles. In New York City, 144 pedestrians were killed by motor vehicles and thousands were injured – many seriously. The accident attorneys at Kaplan Lawyers PC have helped injured pedestrians obtain compensation for their injuries and other damages for decades.
Some causes of pedestrian accidents include drinking and driving, failure to obey traffic controls, and aggressive driving. But distracted driving – drivers using smartphones to talk or text – continues to be the leading reason for vehicle accidents involving pedestrians. Studies have shown that the minimum time these devices distract drivers is five seconds. A lot of harm can be done by their 2,000-pound vehicle in that time span.
New York “No Fault” insurance provides for the economic needs of pedestrians when struck by automobiles. Its “limited” coverage pays for:
- Medical bills
- Household services
- Transportation costs to medical providers
- And lost wages – up to the amount of coverage the policy holder purchases.
Other policy restrictions, variations in driver coverage, and stringent filing requirements make it all but essential to consult a seasoned pedestrian accident attorney to help protect all of your legally mandated compensation benefits.
Additionally – and sadly – an overriding intent of New York’s No Fault Insurance Law is to limit an injured accident victim’s ability to collect damages for their pain and suffering. This restrictive statute often hobbles victims who suffer significant injuries in their attempt to receive the fair compensation they deserve. This is another significant reason to retain a seasoned pedestrian accident attorney with a proven track record of aggressively defending the full compensation rights of people who deserve full and fair compensation after being injured in any vehicle accident.
Just make certain that your lawyer meets these criteria:
- Offers a free initial consultation
- Can help you receive proper medical attention if you need it – and without initial charge during that treatment
- Accepts no fees whatsoever unless you win your accident claim or case, and guarantees it in writing.
Frequently Asked Questions for Pedestrian Accidents
Do I need an attorney to handle my claim?
How long do I have to bring a claim?
Can I bring a claim even if the other driver wasn’t 100 percent at fault?
Do I have to pay any legal fees if I lose my case?
Not with Kaplan Lawyers PC. We work solely a contingency basis. Our written agreement with you states that if you don’t win your case we don’t get paid. Period!
How much is my case worth?
How long will it take to settle my case?
How will my medical bills get paid?
Your medical bills will ultimately be paid by the insurance company which covers the car that struck you. You must file a No Fault application with that insurance company within 30 days of the date of the accident. If you don’t, you waive your right to claim compensation.
Does No Fault pay for anything else?
If any of my personal property was damaged when I was hit, how can I get it fixed?
Can anyone sue to collect for pain and suffering if they were hit by a car?
How will I know if my injuries will be considered serious?
Top Five Pedestrian Mistakes Made After Being Hit by a Motor Vehicle
- Admitting anything was their fault at the scene of the accident – even saying “I’m sorry”
- Not filing an accident report with the police
- Assuming you will feel better and not seeking medical attention
- Believing that the insurance company will deal with you fairly
- Not hiring an experienced attorney who will complete all filings to protect your rights, insulate you from predatory insurance companies, and work tirelessly so you can receive the compensation you deserve
The Kaplan Lawyers PC team has the experts on retainer to investigate, preserve evidence, and prove your case. But time is of the essence. If you or a family member has been injured by a careless driver, contact our team of pedestrian accident attorneys immediately or call us at (516) 399-2364 and harness our decades of experience to work for you. The consultation is free; we charge you nothing unless we win your case.
Call Now for a Free Case Evaluation!(212) 563-1900 (NYC) (516) 399-2364 (Nassau County) (347) 758-9011 (Brooklyn) (631) 619-5309 (Suffolk County) (917) 382-9212 (Queens)
- Experts Believe Fatigue May Cause 10 Percent of All Vehicle CrashesMarch 19, 2018
- Science Panel Urges Lowering BAC Intoxication Level from .08 to .05 PercentFebruary 8, 2018
- Can the U.S. Do Better When it Comes to Driver Safety?January 16, 2018
- Distracted Driving is Taking the Lives of More PedestriansNovember 15, 2017
- Recent Study Shows a Spike in U.S. Fatal, Opioid-Induced Car CrashesNovember 13, 2017