New York City Bus Accident Lawyers
Public Transit & Bus Accidents
When you climb into a bus, the possibility of it crashing while you’re on board probably never crosses your mind. After all, unlike airplanes and cruise ships, you just don’t hear about bus accidents that often.
Certainly, they’re less common than most other auto accidents. But relative to the number of buses operating today, bus accidents happen more often than you might think — even here in New York.
Unfortunately, when bus accidents do happen, the damages tend to be extensive. The vehicle’s heavy weight, coupled with the large number of passengers aboard — most of them completely unrestrained — escalates the potential for catastrophic harm.
Bus operators are subject to special, very strict safety laws. Anyone who operates a large transit vehicle in New York owes a high duty of care to their passengers and the other people on the road. When they behave negligently, victims are entitled to compensation from them for the full cost of their injuries.
Even if someone outside of the bus causes the crash (a car driver in the other lane, for example), victims are still able to recover for their damages from the at-fault party under New York personal injury law.
Of course, as with most vehicle accidents, corporate intervention in the claims process can leave victims frustrated. Insurance companies, bus owners, tour operators, and local government might get involved, all in an effort to reduce their financial liability. Victims can’t count on at-fault parties to step up to the plate and pay what they owe without an aggressive attorney stepping in.
That’s where we come in. As New York City bus accident lawyers, our firm has helped New Yorkers recover significant financial compensation after an injury involving a bus, mass transit vehicle, or common carrier.
We have a long track record of standing up to the insurers and corporate bigwigs on the other side and successfully demanding that they pay our clients what they deserve.
In every case, our goal is to maximize compensation and put you in the best possible position to recover for a better tomorrow. We care about the safety of New York’s people and passengers, and we believe we make a real difference in the cases we take on.
Types of Bus Accidents in New York
Our experienced bus accident lawyers are available to help with any of the following:
- New York City bus accidents
- Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) bus accidents
- Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT) injuries
- School bus accidents (all New York school systems & private schools)
- College bus accidents
- Private tour bus accidents
- Charter bus accidents
- Double-decker bus crashes
- Trolley injuries
- New York City Subway injuries
- Tramway accidents
- Shuttle van accidents
- Any other bus or mass transit injury in New York.
Common Causes of Bus Accidents
Buses have a tremendous responsibility to keep the public safe. We all count on them to carry us from one destination to another, and when they accept the precious responsibility of safeguarding New Yorkers and their loved ones, there is absolutely no excuse for careless behavior.
Sadly, bus drivers and the companies that employ them aren’t always as careful as they should be. Common causes of bus accidents include:
- Bus driver fatigue
- Inadequate training
- Overly demanding schedules that keep drivers on the road for long hours
- Distracted driving / texting while driving a bus
- Negligently hiring someone who is not qualified to drive a bus
- Reckless driving
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Making unsafe lane mergers
- Clipping cars in other lanes
- Failing to modify driving behavior in adverse weather
- Inadequate bus maintenance
- Manufacturing defects in the bus
- Violation of traffic laws and/or bus regulations.
Our Lawyers Can Help
If you or someone you know has been injured in any accident involving a bus while in New York, the passionate team at Kaplan Lawyers PC can help. We take bus operators’ safety obligations very seriously, and we are prepared to aggressively pursue the justice you deserve.
Whether you’re a native New Yorker or were injured while visiting our great city, our bus accident lawyers can make a meaningful difference in your claim for compensation. And we won’t charge a penny unless we achieve a successful outcome in your case.
Contact us to get started with a free consultation today.
Frequently Asked Questions for Bus Accidents
Do I need an attorney to handle my claim?
How long do I have to bring a claim?
Can I bring a claim even if the bus driver wasn’t 100% at fault?
Do I have to pay any legal fees if I lose my case?
How much is my case worth?
How long will it take to settle my case?
How will my medical bills get paid?
Does No Fault pay for anything else?
Can anyone sue to collect for pain and suffering if they were in a bus accident?
What is the legal definition of a serious injury?
How will I know if my injuries will be considered serious?
TOP 5 MISTAKES MADE AFTER A BUS ACCIDENT
- Admitting fault at the scene of the accident before you have all of the facts
- Not filing an accident report with the police
- Assuming you will feel better and not seeking medical attention
- Believing that the Insurance Company will deal with you fairly
- Not hiring an experienced attorney who will complete all filings to protect your rights and ensure that you will receive the compensation that you deserve
Call Now for a Free Case Evaluation!(212) 563-1900 (NYC) (516) 399-2364 (Nassau County) (347) 758-9011 (Brooklyn) (631) 619-5309 (Suffolk County) (917) 382-9212 (Queens)
- How THC Puts Drivers on Par with Alzheimer’s PatientsNovember 26, 2018
- Follow These Guidelines for a Safe ThanksgivingNovember 19, 2018
- New York’s Limousine Tragedy Opens up Fundamental Safety QuestionsNovember 5, 2018
- Winterizing Your Car – What You Need to KnowOctober 29, 2018
- Why Hit-And-Run Drivers Flee the SceneOctober 22, 2018