Turn to Our East Hampton Car Accident Lawyer for Help
Car crashes abound in New York, even in places as remote and beautiful as the Hamptons, and resulting injuries can be devasting and even lead to death. If you or a loved one has been injured or someone has died in an accident due to someone else’s fault or negligence, an East Hampton car accident lawyer can help you get financial compensation for your losses.
After a serious car accident, you may be left confused and traumatized, dealing with pain and emotional upset, and facing high medical, rehabilitation and repair bills at a time when you are unable to work. Dealing with insurance companies and filing a lawsuit can be a daunting and overwhelming task.
Why You Should Work with Kaplan Lawyers
Our East Hampton, NY, car accident attorneys at Kaplan Lawyers have decades of legal experience, a winning track record, and provide top-notch client service. We have won large settlements and jury awards on behalf of clients injured in car accident cases, and we are prepared to work for you.
We offer a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss the circumstances of the accident and your injuries, address your concerns, and determine the best way to move forward. We work on a contingency basis, so there are no fees until we win a settlement for you.
It is important to call us as soon as you are able to allow time to investigate and build your case while witnesses and evidence can still be found.
In addition, New York has a statute of limitations, a deadline for filing personal injury cases. According to Article 2, Section 214, you generally have three years from the date of your car accident to file a lawsuit, or the courts are likely to refuse to hear your case.
Do not delay. Call (516) 399-2364 today to get started.
How Our East Hampton, NY, Car Accident Lawyers Work for You
When you contact the East Hampton car accident attorneys at Kaplan Lawyers, PC, we will take the burden off you by handling all insurance and legal hurdles involved with getting you the compensation you deserve, so you can concentrate on your recovery.
Our car accident lawyers in Long Island will help you with the entire process. We will…
- File all paperwork in accordance with New York deadlines and court requirements
- Interview witnesses, police officers, and first responders
- Gather evidence, such as videos from traffic cameras and police, ambulance, and medical reports
- Hire experts to reconstruct the crash scene and testify on your behalf as to how the accident happened and who was at fault
- Negotiate with insurance companies and their attorneys, who will attempt to get you to settle for the least amount possible
- Build your case and arguing in front of a judge or jury if your case goes to trial.
Compensation Awards Our Hampton Car Accident Attorneys May Win for You
Our Car Accident Attorneys on Long Island Can Win a Settlement for You That Covers Both Your Economic and Non-Economic Damages
The term “damages” refers to the amount of compensation you can receive from the defendants, the parties you are suing. It also refers to the losses and injuries you sustained in the accident.
New York law (Article 14-A, Section 1411) allows restitution for both economic and non-economic damages in car accident and other personal injury claims, as follows:
Economic damages are for losses that can be quantified monetarily, such as:
- Medical and rehabilitation bills, estimated into the future
- Lost income from being unable to work — past, current, and estimated into the future
- Property damage.
Noneconomic damages are for less tangible damages that do not have a specific dollar value, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Disfigurement, or permanent loss of limb
- Loss of quality and enjoyment of life.
While economic damages pay your bills, non-economic damages go directly to benefit you as compensation for the pain and suffering resulting from the accident, and they often are the largest part of a settlement.
Punitive damages — In some rare cases, where a defendant acted extremely egregiously and recklessly, such as by driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, you may also be awarded punitive damages. These are intended to punish the defendant and to deter such actions in the future.
Amounts of Damage Awards in Your East Hampton Car Accident Case
Every case is different, so there is a wide range of damage award amounts, from the thousands to the millions, that you may receive through insurance settlements or jury awards after a trial. When you meet with Kaplan Lawyers, our attorneys will look at the factors involved in your individual case to determine an approximation of what your lawsuit is worth.
Some important factors include:
- Your monetary losses, property damage, and costs of treatment
- The type, extent, permanence, and effects of your injuries on your life, and whether you will need continuing care
- Your age, health and physical condition before the accident
- Your family situation and responsibilities
- How long you will be unable to work, whether you will be able to return to work in the future, and what your earning capacity would have been if the accident had not occurred
- The conduct and recklessness of the party responsible for the injury
- The availability of insurance coverage and assets of the defendants
- Whether a death is involved.
Even if you may have done something to contribute to the East Hampton accident, you may still receive compensation. New York follows a “pure comparative negligence” rule where compensation is reduced by an amount that is equal to your percentage of fault for the accident. You will still be able to receive the portion of the settlement that the other parties were at fault. For example, if the settlement is worth $100,000 and you are found to be 20 percent at fault, you will be awarded $80,000.
New York does not have a damage cap for personal injury cases, and the more permanent and severe the injury and the greater the impact on your life, the higher the recovery may be.
Find out what your East Hampton car accident case is worth. Call Kaplan Lawyers at (516) 399-2364 today.
How Our East Hampton, NY, Car Accident Lawyers Must Prove Liability
To win your lawsuit, our car accident lawyers in East Hampton will have to show that the defendants in the case were negligent, at fault, and therefore liable for the accident. There is a legal obligation, or “duty of care,” for responsible people to act in a way that does not harm others, or they may be held liable.
The following are necessary elements to prove liability:
- The defendant had a duty of care not to harm you.
- The party breached that duty through actions or failure to act.
- This violation was directly related to the accident that caused your injuries.
- You suffered damages as a result.
In car crashes, there may be multiple parties responsible for the accident. They may all have insurance and assets, so your lawsuit should name them all.
Defendants in your East Hampton car accident case may include:
- The driver of a vehicle who was drunk and ran a red light and crashed into you.
- The manufacturer of a defective vehicle or part that failed and caused the accident.
- The maintenance company that left debris scattered on the road.
- A municipality that failed to fix road problems or post warning signs for hazardous conditions.
Our East Hampton car accident lawyers will make sure your damages reflect all of the costs you are facing and that all potentially liable parties are identified.
Let Our Car Accident Lawyers in East Hampton Handle the Insurer
While New York State has a no-fault insurance system that will pay for medical bills, prescription costs, household services, transportation to medical providers, and lost wages up to your limits of coverage, this is likely to be inadequate in accidents with severe injuries or deaths.
Why You Should Not Deal with Insurers Directly
- Always keep in mind that insurance companies are not on your side and will use whatever you tell them against you.
- They are out for profit and want to pay out as little as possible.
- Their adjusters often contact you and try to get you to accept a lowball offer in return for getting a quick settlement.
- If you accept their offer, you will not be able to seek additional benefits should your injuries get worse or you discover your case is worth more.
Kaplan Law, PC is aware of the tactics insurance companies and their attorneys use. We know how to combat them and negotiate with them for a fair settlement. Insurers are more likely to take your case seriously if they know you have a lawyer on your side who is willing to take your case to trial should negotiations break down.
If possible, we will attempt to reach a settlement out of court, as trials can be expensive and drag on for years. However, we are fully prepared to take your case in front of a judge or jury if necessary.
Call Our Car Accident Attorneys in East Hampton for Help
At Kaplan Lawyers, we understand that you may be anxious and fearful about your case and your financial situation, and we will work to make the process of getting a settlement as easy as possible. Based on how the accident happened, the parties who were at fault, and how the accident has affected your life, we will formulate a powerful legal argument on your behalf. We will answer all your questions and keep you informed as your case progresses. Our priority is getting you justice and the settlement you deserve.
Our car accident attorneys in East Hampton will be there for you and meet you on your terms. We have a track record of achieving exceptional results for clients. Call a dedicated, trustworthy East Hampton car accident lawyer at Kaplan Lawyers today at (516) 399-2364.