Organ Damage in New York Vehicle Accidents
In the wake of a serious vehicle accident, there are a number of injuries that can be visible to the human eye, including compound fractures, deep cuts or large bruises. While these injuries typically receive immediate medical attention due to their visibility, there is another form of injury that is just as dangerous.
Organ damage in a vehicle accident can’t always be detected upon first look. Even victims themselves might be not be aware of their injuries, due in part to the shock stemming from an accident. However, failure to spot internal organ damage can lead to serious health complications or even death.
The attorneys at Kaplan Lawyers PC have helped many victims in these types of accidents, and we can tell you that these injuries can be extremely hazardous and costly. If your injuries were caused by someone else’s negligence, you can pursue legal action to cover the costs of your damages.
How These Injuries Occur
Organ damage and internal injuries can be the result of blunt trauma sustained in a vehicle collision. While these injuries happen to victims in many different types of accidents, they frequently occur when a pedestrian, a bicyclist or a motorcyclist is struck by another vehicle.
Common Forms of Internal Injuries
There are a number of internal injuries that can result from a vehicle accident. Any vital organ damage can have serious consequences for an injured person. However, there are a few internal injuries that are more common than others. They include:
- Organ Damage – Blunt trauma can result in severe damage to internal organs, including kidney, lung, spleen, bowel, liver and pancreas damage.
- Intestinal Rupture – Gastrointestinal perforations means the piercing of the gastrointestinal wall that lines organs like the stomach.
- Fractured Ribs – Broken ribs can penetrate major organs, such as the lungs.
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm – These injuries can cause severe bleeding, and are often fatal.
- Brain Injuries – Severe brain injuries can be some of the most dangerous of all injuries, resulting in permanent disability or death. They come in the form of concussions and/or brain bleeding.
Symptoms of Organ Damage
If you’re not sure whether or not you might have internal damage following a vehicle accident, you should seek medical attention immediately. If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, it could be a sign of internal damage:
- Bruising due to internal bleeding
- Accelerated breathing and heart rate
- Excessive sweating
- Mental confusion
- Swollen abdomen.
Diagnosing Organ Damage
It can be difficult to identify organ damage. However, medical professionals are trained to recognize symptoms and act accordingly. If you are experiencing pain, unusual bruising or any of the above symptoms, it is imperative that you notify a medical professional immediately. The sooner an injury can be treated, the better. If a medical professional ignores or dismisses your symptoms, they might be held responsible for any further harm that you suffer.
Wrongful Death After Organ Damage
When a loved one dies as the result of internal damage in a car accident, surviving family members can seek justice in the form of a wrongful death claim. Wrongful death claims are typically filed against the negligent party to help pay for funeral costs, medical bills and loss of income incurred from the death of a loved one.
If you or a loved one has suffered organ damage due to a negligent driver, you could be entitled to compensation for the damages you have suffered. The organ damage attorneys at Kaplan Lawyers PC have helped many victims in their fight to secure payment for their suffering. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you.
Call Now for a Free Case Evaluation!(212) 563-1900 (NYC) (516) 399-2364 (Nassau County) (347) 758-9011 (Brooklyn) (631) 619-5309 (Suffolk County) (917) 382-9212 (Queens)
- The Drugged Driving Epidemic Is Hitting Long IslandSeptember 17, 2018
- Would Optical Illusions Make Pedestrians Safer?September 10, 2018
- Lines Being Drawn in the Battle Between NYC and Rideshare CompaniesSeptember 3, 2018
- Understanding the Increase in Fatal Large Truck CrashesAugust 21, 2018
- Is It Dangerous to Be a Night Owl?July 17, 2018